Friday 13 January 2012

self evaluations

ENVIRONMENT / URBAN CITY SELF EVALUION

1)      What is your understanding of issues related to the urban city environment?
Researching about urban city environment was interesting and intriguing as political aspects, city’s potential, transformation and modernising architecture were all issues that were evident towards urban city.



2)      What context would you place your work in?

For this project I was required to submit a set of images a minimum of three based upon my personal approach of representing ‘urban space’. Drawing upon the knowledge of my references, I had to formulate my own visual choices that best reflected how I wanted to represent the urban environment. This might have been political aspects that I wanted to consider, or investigate the city’s potential, or transformation and modernising architecture. I had to investigate street photography, and create a social document, or representation of humanistic scenes of urban space. Whatever area I wished to work on, I had to consider the relationship between my visual strategy and how it would affect the representation of the landscape.

For my three photographs depicting what I think embodies 'urban landscape' I chose to focus on the old and new architecture, including the effect it has on the landscape and our culture. My work reflects architectural design and futuristic styles, throughout have tried to have an interest in modern architecture, examining shapes and perspectives.

After researching for a clear understanding of what context my work was based upon, I  gradually came to the understanding that not a lot has changed within city's, except modernization, and wanted to show how striking and dynamic most developments are.

3)      How did my photos translate to my initial thoughts?

When thinking about ideas for my shoot I wanted to show how human invention on landscape has highlighted modernism. For an Industrial area, the Docklands have made much improvement in the last quarter century. The Docklands have shown a lot of energy, and are now able to compete with the rest of London as an economic area. From my reference’s  'Architectural design‘ and  the 'Digital Photography Techniques' magazines, I think my photos have shown how architecture and landscape have changed over the years, highlighting the importance and effects that technology and media have on urban city. From the beginning, I wanted to emphasize futuristic design, examining shapes and perspectives.



4)      How have you managed your studies?

Throughout my project I have controlled my studies in an organisable method, by setting deadlines and researching valuable information.



5)      What aspects of your shoot productions do you kneed to reflect upon and why? 

On arrival at location I realised that perhaps a wide angle lens may have produced better results, as some of the areas were limited. Due to this problem, I was unable to capture certain areas. I could overcome this by practicing with camera angles. E.g. Due to limited room, standard shots were not available.




6)      What has been the most significant challenge on this unit so far? How can you overcome this in the future?


On shoot day, a number of buildings were reluctant to give permission due to terrorist threats. This created a problem as I was unable to photograph certain buildings. Luckily other buildings were accessible.













No comments:

Post a Comment