Friday 13 January 2012

self evaluations

OBJECT / SELF EVALUION

1)      What is your understanding of issues related to the object project?

Through my understanding of current social issues I related my research through racism, body image related issues, homelessness, and gangs…….But the subject, obesity came to my interest.

2)      What context would you place your work in?

‘The Object`, is a still life project which has allowed me to show my ability to take objects that superficially may not mean much to anybody, but when placed in context the simple objects present a sense of depth and power.
During this project we had to construct an image based on a current social issue. Elements of the idea I chose to work on was obesity.

To begin my research I explored into the 5th century BC, where still life became known. The art form was presented as a religious and symbolic symbol relating to the objects depicted.

Throughout my research, I wanted to choose the theme of obesity and how in our looks-obsessed society, lots of people think that being overweight is an appearance issue. Due to media, and news Obesity has been proven to be a medical concern as well affecting one's health. I wanted to focus on this topic and research/learn more on how people get over weight and how, it affects today’s society.

3)      How did my photos translate to my initial thoughts?

After my consultation, I felt I had room for improvement. However the photo to me portrayed everything that I wanted to capture.

This was one of my earlier projects, and since then I have learnt enormously the tasks required to take a photo shoot. And regarding one of the questions suggested about the cigarette butts, people could wonder why I have added this? Is the work now dealing with a more general theme of over eating and lack of exercise? If so, the concept and visual language strategy could be further defined, perhaps adding physical weight and a sense of sloth to the image. But the reason why I included the cigarettes was so I could highlight, everything contained in the burger is seen as unhealthy, and whilst not being politically correct, I felt the shoot went incredibly well, considering it was my first experience using all equipment.

Adding brighter colours was one of my other improvements I could have done, but in hign sight maybe my investigation could of full field my object better. I know I looked into advertisement and throughout the advertisement industry; bright colours were used to capture the mouth watering image. However I wanted to achieve the complete opposite by not making the public eat the burger, I also felt by adding brighter colours to the background, the public would be drawn more to the colours instead of the main focus point which is `the unhealthy burger`.


4)      How have you managed your studies?

     Throughout my project I have managed my studies in a well thought-out
Manner, including research of outside media, which helped influence my initial thoughts and hw to portray my idea, and setting goals and targets to help achieve tasks.


5)      What aspects of your shoot productions do you kneed to reflect upon and why? 

Originally I wanted to document the effect of obesity and how it creates a massive impact towards our everyday life.

I have always been intrigued on how obesity can change peoples lives, and was influenced by outside media e.g. Newspapers, TV, radio etc…. and photographers such as Susan Findlay, Gary Bryan …… and the painter Michael Rousseau.
For the shoot I wanted to create a composition that was reminiscent of an advertising campaign.
Shooting my object was quite frustrating as I could not quite get the right amount of depth of filed. For lighting I placed the source to the side of the object, in order to create definition in the object as well as creating highlights and lowlights in the composition. I also used an off- set white as the backdrop as I wanted the colour and definition to come from the object and not be overpowered by a dark background.  I think I could improve this shoot, by adding more colour, thinking about re-organising my objects, and maybe researching into different surfaces that the object can be placed on e.g. taking pictures of café tables for inspiration. But overall I am pleased with the concept and the object I used, and thought the textures worked well together and whilst perhaps the colour and surface could have been better, I felt the highlight of this photo had to be the burger.




6)      What has been the most significant challenge on this unit so far? How can you overcome this in the future?

After consultation, I felt I had room for improvement. However the photo to me portrayed everything that I wanted to capture.

This was one of my earlier projects, and since then I have learnt enormously the tasks required to take a photo shoot. Regarding one of the questions suggested about the cigarette butts, people could wonder why I have added this? Is the work now dealing with more general theme of over eating and lack of exercise? If so, the concept and visual language strategy could be further defined, perhaps adding physical weight and a sense of sloth to the image. But the reason why I included the cigarettes was so I could highlight, everything contained in the burger was seen as unhealthy, and whilst not being politically correct I felt the shoot a challenge but inspiring to develop more.

Adding brighter colours was one of my other improvements, but in high sight maybe my investigation could of fulfied my portrait better. I know I looked into advertisement and throughout the advertisement industry; bright colours are used to capture the mouth watering image. However I wanted to achieve the complete opposite by not making the public eat the burger, I also felt by adding brighter colours to the background, the public would be drawn more to the colours instead of the main focus point `the burger`.





No comments:

Post a Comment