Saturday 10 September 2011

SUMMER PROJECT / STILL LIFE PORTRAIT QUESTIONS

Summer Project/ still life portrait questions

1) How will I use objects, and their background, to represent myself? Consider how do I see myself and how am I going to `visually tell ` my audience this through objects and their location?

I will use objects that best describe my personality and my commitments in everyday life.  The placement of the objects will be arranged to show the order of importance which best reflect my character. The background will be associated with warm colours, as this will portray my warm hearted personality.


2) What objects represent me? Remember everything in my image has is significant as it represents something about me. I should think about the symbolism, meanings, history etc of all the information I provide the viewer?

The objects that I will be using are:

  • Fireplace: I choose to involve this object as the décor style represents my creative side. The fire and colours represent my warm hearted personality. The burning fuel demonstrates the high level of energy that takes to succeed in a high level of sport. 
     

  • Flowers: I choose to use flowers as this object demonstrates the sweet side of me, and the arrangement of the flowers demonstrates my organisational skills.
           

  • Watch: The watch illustrates the importance of time, as I tend to lead a busy life.
     

  • Ice skating boots: This object represents my passion and commitment to the sport as ice skating has played a massive role in my life, and will continue throughout the future.

  • Rings: The rings symbolise my involvement in the youth Olympics, and represent my dedication and commitment.
           

  • Suitcase: The suitcase portrays travel. As I compete internationally, I travel on a regular basis.
     

  • Bubbly drink: I chose to incorporate a bubbly drink as not only do I have a warm heart, but also a bubbly personality.




3) Photographic choices fundamentally affect the way we read images. How will the lighting of the objects affect the way I wish to represent them? Consider other aspects of photographic choice: How will the distance effect the objects, the type of focus, and camera position all affect the image and how I am represented?

The colour, direction, quantity, and quality of the light a photographer uses determines how the subject appears. I think it can also make or break an image setting the stage for others to see it either as a snapshot or a photograph. When thinking about lighting techniques I thought front lighting would have been the best technique, as the style would of been good for accentuating details, but when experimenting, I thought it showed the often-undesirable effect of giving the subjects a flat and uninteresting look. Therefore I thought the image needed to portray the impression of form, depth, and texture, accentuating certain subjects. I then realised the light needed to come from the side or at least at an angle. This type of lighting would have helped create shadows, which provided the eye with additional information, creating the illusion of depth. After experimenting with the side light, I thought the technique gave too much of an unbalanced appearance, as one side of the portrait was illuminated, while the other side was in total darkness, unfortunately this was not what I wanted to perceive. Whilst involving this style; the picture also consisted of existing light and back lighting. As the light was reflecting from the fire, it gave the impression of back-lighting; this helped emphasize the objects that identified my personality. The existing light helped, as I had the opportunity to make a dramatic and creative picture. Existing light gave me greater freedom of movement, as extra lighting equipment was not required. I’m pleased I chose these styles, as the two lighting techniques helped emphasize the objects that best reflected me.


The distance between the objects affected the way viewers would read the image as the portrait showed order of importance.

The type of focus was important especially when understanding me, for example if I were to use depth of field, it would have automatically emphasized the main subject of interest. Instead i decided to use a normal type of focus as I wanted the public to identify all t objects that best described me.

I had to think carefully how I wanted the camera position, as this would have effected how the image represented me. With the camera at eye level, the subject seemed equal with the camera, possessing a feeling of strength.

Once I captured my portrait, I then developed the image on the program Photoshop.
I also tried experimenting with the blending modes placed in the layers palette, as I wanted to create a complex effect. After experimenting I decided to use the multiply layer. This darkened the lower layer base on the darkness of the upper layer. No part of the image got lighter but any of the whiteness in the image became transparent. The multiply tool enhanced the image and darkened certain areas. I was pleased I experimented with this tool, as I think the blending mode helped emphasize the warmth, identifying my personality.


Due to the flash being too far away from the subject the image became under exposed. Due to this problem I researched the tools in Photoshop and came across the brightness/ contrast adjustment. This helped correct the situation, as I could use the two sliders to adjust the brightness and contrast up or down.

No comments:

Post a Comment